A month or so ago, I asked this question:
It seems after a lot of dialog, I didn't really get anywhere. The idea of underscore characters in the computer names was just a guess and now after the fullness of time doesn't seem to have much of anything to do with what's happening.
I'm now back with the same question plus more. Just to review:
- This is a peer-to-peer network of mostly Windows 7 Pro systems - and a few Windows 8.1
- The Computer Browser service is running on all of them as far as I know.
- We have 3 separate sites and separate subnets that are running this way.
- These are Work networks entirely.
In two of the three subnets, computers ALL show up as computers.
In the largest of the three, there are currently showing on my workstation:
- 4 computers
- 7 "Media Devices" which are really computers.
- It appears that there are 29 computers on the subnet and they show as computers on another workstation .. or they did until I rebooted it.
- If a computer shows up as a Media Device then opening it shows Playlists, Music, Video, Pictures and NO FILE FOLDERS.
AND it does show the music, pictures, etc. even though media streaming is turned off on that computer!!
- UNC by name works to show the file folders. i.e.RUN \\[computername]
- Net View results in Error 58 on both workstations... at least right now.
I can access most of the computers remotely.
The ones I've looked in the larger network all have Media Streaming turned off.
So, not only is it annoying to have 2 lists instead of one, it appears that not all of the computers are showing up and one can't get at the shared file folders in the normal way.
I sense that there's something big going on here on this one subnet but I can't figure out what it might be.