iPhone shows "No Mail" after Exchange reboot

Every time I have to reboot the Exchange 2010 server, I have one user who loses his mail connection on his iPhone 5. It simply says, "No Mail."  I have to then delete the mailbox from his phone and set it up again.  It always works again once I've followed this procedure, but it makes no sense why he is the only user out of a dozen who experiences this issue.  His mailbox settings appear to be the same as everyone else's, so I'm a bit lost as to what else to pursue.
Christopher NationsAsked:
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

x
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Kyle SantosQuality AssuranceCommented:
Try removing the email account and then adding it back, with cellular data turned off, and WiFi on instead, for a fresh entry of the email account ('Mail, Contacts & Calendars' in, presumably iOS 8, Settings app).  Also, some MS Exchange servers are set up where the provider has policies to limit the number of devices, and require those with new phones to remove old ones (form in settings via OWA webmail) to be under that limit before adding a new device.

Let me know how that goes.

o/
hecgomrecCommented:
Have seen this behavior several times already on different versions of Apple products, the problems goes away just by restarting the device, deleting the account or a combination of both.

Most of the time the account creation will authenticate but mail just won't flow to the device.  All other devices (android) will perform correctly or even some iOS devices.

This mostly happens in my case when the device is being restored from a backup, an upgrade/update was not finish or stopped, is like the device internal settings to find the server gets corrupted.

I know is not quite of a help, but just to let you know there are more cases out there and is nothing related to your server.
Christopher NationsAuthor Commented:
Thanks thus far for the comments. I've deleted the device from Exchange and then deleted the account from the iPhone, then set up the iPhone again, which set it up again on Exchange of course. I haven't had time to test another reboot of Exchange to see if that will help any, but I'll update when I do.  As to Kyle's solution to use WiFi, we don't have it in the office, so I will have to try that one later.
Determine the Perfect Price for Your IT Services

Do you wonder if your IT business is truly profitable or if you should raise your prices? Learn how to calculate your overhead burden with our free interactive tool and use it to determine the right price for your IT services. Download your free eBook now!

Kyle SantosQuality AssuranceCommented:
Thanks for checking in, Christopher.  Let us know how it goes!
Christopher NationsAuthor Commented:
Update: I rebooted Exchange again last night to test my solution of deleting the phone from Exchange and setting it up again. The user again lost his connection to mail. Actually, that's not a correct phrasing. After testing, I found that he could still send mail from his iPhone, but nothing appeared in his "In-Box."  He only received a "No Mail" message which never changed. I tried toggling Airplane mode on and off, modifying a few other settings, etc., but nothing worked. Instead of deleting the account and adding it again, it was logical that it was working in some way because he could send mail. On a hunch, I tried just deleting his password to the account on his iPhone and re-entering it. That solved the problem. It makes no sense why that should work, but it seems to be the fix. Thanks for your input.

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
Kyle SantosQuality AssuranceCommented:
I came across this conversation again because I am helping someone else with a similar issue.  I have told them to try deleting the password and re-entering it.  It sounds like what worked for your situation is that it needed to re-authenticate login credentials between the phone and the server.  It is certainly an interesting fix!
Christopher NationsAuthor Commented:
The issue continued through several reboots of Exchange, and reentering the password always resolved it. Interestingly, the most recent Exchange reboots have not produced any issues on the user in question's iPhone.
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
iPhone

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.