iPhone will not sync and can't remove device partnership

Client is running Exchange 2007 SP3. 2 users (one iPhone 5 and one 6, running iOS 8.3) are having sync issues. One users mail syncs and calendar does not. The other is the opposite.

All other users with other (non iphone) devices sync fine.

Had one user remove Exchange account from phone, then I tried removing the device partnership in Exchange. I cant get rid of the device! I used the Exchange Console / Manage Mobile Device wizard. It completes successfully but the phone does NOT get removed

I also used the Exchange Shell command:
Remove-ActiveSyncDevice -Identity 'User@domain.com\AirSync-iPhone-S1XXXXXXXXXXX'

It warns me that the device will be removed. I answer Yes and the command completes. But the phone is STILL there!

I'm hoping that removing  / reestablishing the partnership will get sync working.

The only other clue I've found is an active sync error 1008 :

An exception occurred and was handled by Exchange ActiveSync. This may have been caused by an outdated or corrupted Exchange ActiveSync device partnership. This can occur if a user tries to modify the same item from multiple computers. If this is the case, Exchange ActiveSync will re-create the partnership with the device. Items will be updated at the next synchronization.

Anyone know why the remove commands succeed but the device remains? Any ideas to try to get sync to work again?
Sal SoricePresidentAsked:
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

x
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Sal SoricePresidentAuthor Commented:
Follow up:

I was able to remove one phone (iphone 5) without issue. The other (iphone 6) will not go away!
Alan HardistyCo-OwnerCommented:
Have you tried using OWA to delete the device instead of Powershell (although powershell should work)?

Alan
Sal SoricePresidentAuthor Commented:
Alan,

Yes, tried OWA. The device is removed, but as soon as you refresh the page it returns!

I'm going to ask that this question be closed, since, ironically, just changing the user's password caused everything to start syncing again. Weird.

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
Sal SoricePresidentAuthor Commented:
Resetting the user password resolved the sync issue. But, since I never figured out how to remove the device (which is now a moot issue) -  it would still be an unresolved problem.
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
iPhone

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.