I have a user who is trying to log into an HR database we have called info:HR. I have installed the client on two different PC's for her, but I get the error "check which database you are trying to access". She can log into this program on someone else's PC, but not hers, so it doesn't appear to be a rights issue.
I have checked and double checked her "Data Source" and ODBC settings, and they are the same as the other people that can access the database. The techs. at the company who wrote the software have also webexed in and looked at the settings and it doesn't appear to be a software problem. It has to be some setting, somewhere that we are all missing.
The UAC is at "never", and I've tried turning off the anti-virus and firewall.