I have suddenly been plagued with a DNS issue where my Windows 7 desktops are unable to resolve domain resources. In viewing the DNS cache of the machines themselves I see negative DNS records which read as "name does not exist".
Subsequent lookups do not query a server but just use the negative entry already cached.
These Negative DNS records happen because one of my three (the last) DNS servers provided by DHCP is 184.108.40.206
Because this server is the last of the three I would expect that the first two, which are both reachable Domain Controllers would provide resolution for the query. After looking through the traffic with Wireshark however I noticed that these DNS servers aren't even queried. The query is sent to 220.127.116.11
I have used NSlookup to verify that these first two DC's are replying to queries properly and sure enough they are.
I have gone and taken 18.104.22.168 out of my DNS list in DHCP for all my offices and everything seems to be fine.
I cannot however for the life of me understand why this very odd behavior exists and am hoping to find that someone else is at least experiencing the same issue.
One note to add, all these sites do not have a local DNS/DC on site. the few that do seem to be perfectly fine.
Thanks for any consideration given.