2012 R2 RDS Farm Domain Migration

Hi,

I'm currently in the middle of migrating our existing child domain to a new forest.

in our source domain we have an 2012 R2 RDS Farm configured consisting of the following VM's:

HOST1
HOST2
BROKER1
BROKER2  (HA PAIR)
LIC1
RDGATEWAY1

What are the exact steps needed to migrate this setup over to the target domain? We have previously been using ADMT to move users accounts, laptops, workstations and member servers and this has so far gone well.

After taking a backup I tried moving the above servers with ADMT. While the actual domain joins and translations went as expected the RDS configuration was still referencing the previous server FQDN's.

There seems to be a migration guide from Microsoft https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff849223(v=ws.10).aspx 

However, most of the documentation is outdated and references 2008 R2. Does anyone have any recommendations about the best way to tackle this?

Thanks,

James.
jfreckeltomAsked:
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

x
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Cliff GaliherCommented:
In 2012, most of an RDS deployment configuration is stored in a database on the connection broker(s) and as such, is fairly immutable. You can tear down the deployment. Move the individual machines. And then build up a new deployment. That is the best method in most situations.

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
jfreckeltomAuthor Commented:
Thanks, from looking in SQL broker DB I tried to change the values to reflect the new FQDN's. This did work to a point but it would then drop the connections in the configuration and ask again for the old server names.

In the end I did the following;

* Re-named all the servers in the target domain and removed the RDS configuration from the Brokers, Gateway, Web and    license servers.
* Created a new Farm consisting of the needed roles and added my existing host servers.
* Migrated out my lock down GPO from the old domain and imported to the target domain.
* Created new host collections and re-published my remote apps.
* Created a new HA Broker pairing and relevant SQL DB
* restored my exported Gateway policies and configuration to the new Gateway server
* Certificates worked fine due to a wildcard and same published name.
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Active Directory

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.