We are running Windows Exchange Server 2010 in an VM environment. Several cell phones are connected to the server and are working fine. We have one cell phone (Samsung) account however that has stopped receiving email but can send mail. I have setup the same account on my iPhone and it seems to setup properly with green check marks in all areas but constantly receive the following error message "Cannot Get Mail" "The connection to the server failed". We have restarted both the Exchange server and the DC with the same results. The webmail for this account works properly and he is receiving email with Outlook.