exchange 2013

I have just moved the following inboxes to a new database using exchange 2013 ecp:

Type: Exchange local move
Status: Syncing
Target database: ElkayDB
Target archive database:
Mailbox status
Synced mailboxes: 0 of 11
Finalized mailboxes: 10 of 11
Failed mailboxes: 1
Mailbox statusView details
Created by:
Create time: 05/06/2015 09:38:01
Start time: 05/06/2015 09:38:03
Initial sync time: 05/06/2015 11:52:45
Initial sync duration: 12:08:46
Last synced time: 05/06/2015 09:47:13

The main window shows the following:

Please can soemone tell me what is happening here and why the system is not moving on to completion
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

It may well be that Exchange has got hung up on the failed mailbox. As long as the other mailboxes are showing as having completed their move request, it's safe to stop and delete the migration batch. The mailboxes that have finished will remain in the destination DB and the move request for the failed mailbox will be deleted. You can then resolve any problems with that mailbox and start the move again.

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
doctorbillTechAuthor Commented:
Would that also account for the "Syncing" message not moving on in the main window?
doctorbillTechAuthor Commented:
I tried to move the failed mailbox but it fails
Any idea why that would be
Has Powershell sent you back into the Stone Age?

If managing Active Directory using Windows Powershell® is making you feel like you stepped back in time, you are not alone.  For nearly 20 years, AD admins around the world have used one tool for day-to-day AD management: Hyena. Discover why.

doctorbillTechAuthor Commented:
This action was carried out using a separate batch file just for the failed mailbox
Marwan OsmanCommented:
I faced many problem in moving through ecp, and solved by moving through exchange management shell running as administrator, if you want to try it run the below:

New-MoveRequest -Identity -TargetDatabase "DB name"

to follow up the moving status:

Get-MoveRequestStatistics -Identity
doctorbillTechAuthor Commented:
Re. the first statement:
Will the "" be the users mailbox I need to move ?
Marwan OsmanCommented:
Yes yes
doctorbillTechAuthor Commented:
Thanks very much
I will try this and report back
Marwan OsmanCommented:
Ok i am waiting your feedback
doctorbillTechAuthor Commented:
The script would have worked but I get a message telling me that the mailbox is in the process of being moved even though it failed
I used the -Whatif switch
Any ideas
Did you delete the original migration job? If you didn't there will still be a move request in place for the mailbox.
Marwan OsmanCommented:
please confirm if the script ran then the moving is failed or you get the error immediately after runing the script
Marwan OsmanCommented:
If it ran then the moving is failed, try to do the below:

Run the new-moverequest script, then keep running the
Get-MoveRequestStatistics script and monitor the task status and the percentage of the process,
doctorbillTechAuthor Commented:
The original batch job is still there but is not running
doctorbillTechAuthor Commented:
I have just deleted the batch jobs but the script still says the inbox is already being moved
doctorbillTechAuthor Commented:
It turns out that there were corrupt items in the mailbox and I forgot to tick the box for Bad Item Limit
All ok now
Thanks for the input
Marwan OsmanCommented:
actually I asked you to check the percentage of the process to know if the failed is happened before starting moving messages or not, and once you will confirm that it is happened after starting moving, I will tell you to add the "bad item limit" in the cmd:

New-MoveRequest -Identity -TargetDatabase "DB name" -BadItemLimit 100
doctorbillTechAuthor Commented:
Sorry - you are right
Adding a "Bad Item" limit of 50 did the trick as there were 25 bad items
Marwan OsmanCommented:
Thx for updates
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.