Global address list not updating

Ohmit
Ohmit used Ask the Experts™
on
I am the administrator of a Small Business Server 2008 domain with 50 computers running as clients on a remote desktop service server.
All clients run Office 2010 with Outlook 2010.

My problem is that the GAL within Outlook is not automatically updated.
Then I asked my users to do a manuel update from Outlook from FILES -> ACCOUNT SETTINGS -> UPDATE GLOBAL ADDRESS LIST.
Apparently this caused Outlook to delite the list of cached email adresses??

Therefore this is really 2 questions:

1) Why does the GAL not updating?
2) Why does a manuel update delete cached passwords?
Comment
Watch Question

Do more with

Expert Office
EXPERT OFFICE® is a registered trademark of EXPERTS EXCHANGE®
Most Valuable Expert 2014

Commented:
You are not talking about the GAL. You are talking about the OAB. While they can seem the same, they are not.

If you login to OWA you will see the GAL - that uses live information. Therefore the first thing you need to do is check whether changes to user accounts are seen through OWA. If they are, then the problem is with the OAB distribution.

Is the server fully up to date?
Any errors in the event viewer about OAB generation? Run the SBS BPA and Exchange BPA (in the toolbox in EMC) to ensure that no errors come up.

Choosing the option to Download the Address book should have had no effect on the nickname files. I have never seen the entries lost by doing what you posted. Therefore that must have been caused by something else.

Simon.
uncheck the use cache exchange mode in the account settings and try.
I have the same problem in Exchange 2007. When I added or deleted mailboxes, the updates were found in All Users.
Ensure you’re charging the right price for your IT

Do you wonder if your IT business is truly profitable or if you should raise your prices? Learn how to calculate your overhead burden using our free interactive tool and use it to determine the right price for your IT services. Start calculating Now!

Most Valuable Expert 2014

Commented:
"uncheck the use cache exchange mode in the account settings and try. "

That isn't really a fix.
That just stops the client from using the OAB. The live GAL rarely has a problem.

All Users is the live information, therefore if you aren't seeing the information elsewhere, then the OAB isn't updating correctly. You shouldn't need to go near All Users at all.

Simon.
Simon Butler (Sembee)

you are right 100%, thank you.
Md. MojahidExchange server admin

Commented:
Try this

1. Open the Exchange Management Console.
2. Go to Organization Configuration, and then click Mailbox.
3. Right click the appropriate database and go to Properties
4. Click on the Client Settings tab, do you have an OAB set?
5. If no click Browse and select the correct OAB and Ok and Ok
Will SzymkowskiSenior Solution Architect
Most Valuable Expert 2015
Top Expert 2015

Commented:
You may want to check your EWS (Exchange Web Services) to ensure that is it properly configured as you are using Web Distribution for Outlook 2010. You may also want to change the Distribution Server to another CAS server in your environment if you have one, which would be a good test to see if there is something wrong with the current one being used.

Will.

Author

Commented:
Honored colleagues.

This is getting more and more strange.

First of all I dont see any entries in the ewent viewer what so ever regarding any issues related to OAB or a like.

I just ran BPA which only commant was, that incomming/outgoing message size is too high.

If I access OWA and press the to-buttom it shows me a VERY outdated address book only showing 1/3 of the current users.

If I access Outlook 2010 I see the full internal address list (GAL??) except that this is not updated and missing newly created users.

"Huston we have a problem" :-)
Most Valuable Expert 2014
Commented:
That suggests the server has a problem with the domain.
It is either unable to query the domain properly or there is a replication issue.

Probably the first time for many months where the problem has been genuinely the GAL, rather than the OAB.

You need to start looking at your domain controllers. Specifically look at the ones that Exchange is using for global catalog. If you have multiple DCs with the global catalog role, try removing the GC role from the server that Exchange is using, then restart the Exchange services so that Exchange is forced to use it.

Exchange doesn't cache the GAL information, so you aren't looking at out of date information from within Exchange, it is incomplete information from the domain.

Do check the obvious though - that the mailboxes don't have hide from the address book enabled. I would also ensure that permission inheritance is enabled on every user account.

Until you can see all of the information in OWA, don't think anything is going to change on the clients.

Simon.

Do more with

Expert Office
Submit tech questions to Ask the Experts™ at any time to receive solutions, advice, and new ideas from leading industry professionals.

Start 7-Day Free Trial