One of my Sage users has a weird problem on his local workstation. An error pops up when he launches Sage200 (see attached, but when he clicks OK, it lets him into the program.
However, he is not getting this error message on other PCs.
I have discussed at length with the support company and they think the error is due to the application trying to write the Sage.mms.messenger.xml file to his server based application data redirected folder instead of C:\users\username\appdata\
But I have checked on the machines where it works without the error and for the other users for whom it works without the error and there is nothing in the C:\users\username\appdate\
roaming local path related to Sage for anyone. They all have it on \\server01\application data\username\Application Data\Sage\MMS\ Sage.MMS.Messenger.xml and it is working well for both the user in question and others from that location.
All I can deduce from here is that the issue is with the PC rather than his profile.
Other than giving the user a fresh PC or re-imaging his PC, I just wanted to check f this is something someone has come across before. I have cleaned out and recreated the user's profile several times already.