Have this problem on several machines running WIn 8.1 with latest patches.
Problem started about 3 weeks ago.
I restored drive Images from Sept 2014, and Chrome worked.
Installed all the Windows Updates since that date (about 101), and the problem came back.
I then Uninstalled Chrome, deleted all the Google folders in hidden AppData for each User, same problem whether Local or Domain account is used to login.
When it doesn't work, Chrome launches, even prompts me to whether I want my Norton Tool bar installed, but other than that window pop-up, nothing shows in Chrome. Task Manager shows only one Chrome Process, whereas on my Win 8.1 PC that is working properly, there 4 Chrome processes running.
If I launch Chrome again, even though I told it not to enable the Norton Plug In, it keeps asking me each time.
Which means its never finishing the configuration for that User Account.
I even deleted entire User folders for other User Accounts, to make sure nothing is left behind after uninstalling Chrome, and the problem is still there.
I checked security on Program Files (X86) and being logged in as an Administrator, all the Right are checked.
I also shut down Norton Internet Security 2013, with no effect.