Hello, I have a laptop that is an HP Pavillion DV7t Quad Edition, Intel i7 with 8gb RAM. My client was using it and it started some bad behavior in that if you login and start running an application (mozilla, outlook, excel, IE, notepad, windows explorer, anything), it will freeze and not allow do anything except it will allow you to press the windows key and the Start Menu will appear. If you press ctrl-alt-del you can start the task manager and then it releases the applications and allows you to perform functions for a few minutes and then it freezes again.
Also, when initially starting up it will not allow any programs from the task bar to be launched, you must launch it from the start menu or a desktop icon.
Things I tried in order:
1. I put in a new Solid State Drive and installed windows, office 2010 and updated all windows updates. I experienced the same thing with the new drive.
1.1 downloaded mozilla, java, adobe reader, adobe flash
2. Updated BIOS and all firmware on laptop
3. Ran SFC /scannow, everything looks good
4. Ran HP Diagnostics (no errors found)
4. removed one memory module and tested and then the other memory module and tested, same bad behavior.
5. Ran PC Doctor, no errors found
My client thinks things started happening after a windows update, not sure I buy it but will try anything.
Any thoughts to what might be an issue and how to debug?