My company is moving. our new server is pretty small 1.5X3M meters, it has only 1 small air conditioner inside it but it seems to be sufficient. my budget is limited, i would like to know, based on the details that i supply you guys, what is the best i can do.
my questions are addressed to the powers distribution and what can i do in case of AC fail
I currently have 25U network rack there, 5x1U patch panels.
In the space left i am going to insert the following equipment in the list below(in the actual rack)
I given it numbers as levels of how much it is important for us:
1 means critical, its very important in case of a fail and we want to make sure it survives
2 is important but not critical, means we can survive without it for a few days(until fixed)
3, means we can survive without it
1X Fortigate 200B (Level 1, Controls internet vlans and etc)
1x Cisco 2960 48Port(Level 1, global computer network)
1x Cisco 2960-POE 48Port (Level 3, Only for VoIP Phones, about 20 phones)
1X Dlink DGS-1500-28P POE (Level 2, Powers UP 5 X Security Camera)
1X vDSL modem (Level 1, connected to the Fortigate)
Non of this devices has two PSU(redundancy).
Besides network devices, i have few servers(none of them are rack) this is because our old server room was big and we had space.
I Still have a place to put them at the server room
1X IBM Xseries X3400 NAS (Level 1, Intel Xenon 4C E5620, 4X2TB 7200, 2 usb power external hard drives has 2 PSU)
1X Server NAS(Level 1, 4X1TB 7200, 8Gb, Intel quad Q9550)
1X server (Level 2, VoIP Server, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, 64gb ssd, 4gb ram)
1X server (Level 2, Camera Server, 8gb intel quad q9550 )
1X Server (Level 3, FTP, intel core 2du 8400, 4gb ram, 1TB 7200)
Server means a pc (Intel Quad 9550, 8G ram, 1 SSD 64gb
3 X 1500VA UPS
In my old room, i have connected:
1) All the network devices to a 1 UPS(UPS1) (Via power splitter, ups->power splitter-> devcies)
2) IBM server with 2 PSU connected to (UPS2)
3) voip server connected to (UPS2)
4) Server nas connected to (UPS3)
5) Camera server connected to (UPS3)
6) FTP server connected normal electecity
My Goals that i want to achiv and my biggest fears.
1) What can i do in case of AC fail ? (there is electricity, but it does not cool for instance)
Most devices will shutdown due to high temperature, as I experienced in the past, but until they do shutdown I want to avoid some damage as i can, like hard fail.
people suggested me to install a Temperature Monitor in the room that sends SMS, the room is isolated, and very small, and i work part time. at least will this give me the option to tell people to open the door before something happens?
2) How do i split better my power usage among the PSU, I am pretty sure i will be able to afford 2-3 smart/inttelegent pdu
i am not expert at them, but i think it`s the the way to go, i have read that they give you the usage of VA/WATT on the specific PDU which can help me to know the load
I was thinking connect all the servers + network devices into 2 PDU.
PSU1 connected to PDU1
PSU2 connected to PDU2,
PSU3 connected to PDU1+PDU2
3) Can i connected 2 PSU to 1 PDU ?
4) Which PDU`S should i buy? What i like about my PSU that they can shutdown the server, before the power ends, it is done by connecting a USB cable to server and installing the ups agent, can PDU do the same?
4) What is best practice with fire exstuinish system in server room? in case of some/fire... water can damaeg all servers.. so is it this normal.. what should i do about it