I have been migrating from a physical to a VMware infrastructure and am approaching my last server to deal with. Its a Sharepoint 2010 server with MS SQL server 2008 R2 also hosted on the same box.
I was planning to P2V it directly into the VMware environment. I intend to:
- Stop all Sharepoint related services
- Stop all SQL server related services
- Deny logins to the server
- Clear up and remove any unneeded files
- Run VMware convertor and P2V the box into the VMWare environment
Does this sound like a reasonable approach?
Has anyone done this successfully?
Any gotchas lurking with this procedure?
Many thanks in advance.