I've got an odd issue with one user where their Outlook freezes up with that "retrieving information from mail server" tray notification and then it finally loads a while longer, or just cancels out and he has to restart Outlook and try it again.
I've tried making a new profile for them in Outlook, same issue right away.
Is not on Cached mode, is Online mode.
Office 2013 x86
It happens whether he double-clicks somebody's name in an e-mail (the from/to field) or searches up there name in the"Search People" find section at top of Outlook next to Address Book.
I don't find anything in Exchange 2010 toolbox for troubleshooting something like this.
He's got all updates installed for Windows/MS/Office.
Can't recreate issue from my own mailbox/client, and we're in the same Mailbox database.
I'm wondering what else I can try, otherwise I might just try to reformat his system and reinstall apps/updates and try again.