I am looking to migrate a KMS server from one 2012 R2 server to another.
Reason is we're getting rid of the server KMS is on now since we no longer need that server taking up so much space.
We'll be relying on the KSM for activatign Windows Server 2012 R2 and lower to Windows 7, as well as Office 2010 and 2013.
Am I correct in that the following plan is the right approach? If not, please advise any recommended corrections.
Steps on "old" KMS server that will be decommissioned:
1. Gather the partial product keys that are installed, and find complete keys online, note the full keys
2. Disable DNS publishing by running "slmgr /cdns"
3. Uninstall KMS keys by running "slmgr /upk"
4. Clear keys from registry by running "slmgr /cpky"
5. shutdown the VM of server and wait until approved for deleting
Steps on "new" KMS server":
1. Run "slmgr /upk"
2. Install KMS key for 2012 R2 Standard/Data edition (from the Volume licensing website for our organization) by running "slmgr /ipk <the kms key from volume licensing website>"
3. Activate with slmgr /ato
4. Disable DNS publishing
5. Update existing _VLMCS DNS record manually to point from old KMS server to the new KMS server hostname.
6. Restart Software Protection Service with command "net stop sppsvc && net start sppsvc"
7. Download and install both the Office 2010 and Office 2013 Volume License Packs and install and add their KMS keys from our Volume Licensing website (current deployments of Office are configured to activate over KMS. have 2010 and 2013 deployed)?