unable to login EAC and EMS

Hello everyone,

Am getting following error when i try to access the EMS, also the EAC is not even accepting the Admin credentials.  

We had an issue with the previous exchange 2013 installation and had  to manually reinstalled . Now the installation is OK and i can see all the services and Directories are working. But it doesn't allow me to login . I have checked the permissions , the admin has Enterprise admin, domain admin, organization group privileges.

Note: Both DC and exchange running on the same system

Operating system: windows server 2012 R2 standard

Exchange version : Exchange 2013 CU8

New-PSSession : [hoXXXXXXXXm] Connecting to remote server hoXXXXXXXX.com failed with
the following error message : Access is denied. For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.
At line:1 char:1
+ New-PSSession -ConnectionURI "$connectionUri" -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Excha ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : OpenError: (System.Manageme....RemoteRunspace:RemoteRunspace) [New-PSSession], PSRemotin
   gTransportException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : AccessDenied,PSSessionOpenFailed


Please help
LVL 1
ET SupportAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Mark BillExchange, AD, SQL, VMware, HPE, 3PAR, FUD, Anti MS Tekhnet, Pro EE, #1Commented:
Are all of the Microsoft Exchange Services that are automatic started?

Try restarting the Microsoft Exchange Topology Service on the machine too.

Are there any relevant errors in the application log?
0
ET SupportAuthor Commented:
Hi Mark,

There is nothing in event viewer. I tried couple of restarts , still same.
0
Mark BillExchange, AD, SQL, VMware, HPE, 3PAR, FUD, Anti MS Tekhnet, Pro EE, #1Commented:
What error do you get opening EMc?

Are all of the services I listed above started?
0
Has Powershell sent you back into the Stone Age?

If managing Active Directory using Windows Powershell® is making you feel like you stepped back in time, you are not alone.  For nearly 20 years, AD admins around the world have used one tool for day-to-day AD management: Hyena. Discover why.

systechadminConsultantCommented:
Please check the RBAC for the account. add that account in Organization Management Group and check
0
Mark BillExchange, AD, SQL, VMware, HPE, 3PAR, FUD, Anti MS Tekhnet, Pro EE, #1Commented:
Looks like the account does not have permission as said above. organization management group is in AD.
0
Will SzymkowskiSenior Solution ArchitectCommented:
Access is denied. For more information
As stated already Access Denied is 99% a permission issue. The other 1% can be from a firewall related scenario.

Will.
0
ET SupportAuthor Commented:
user is already a member of Organization management,

How do i check the RBAC permission is correct ?
0
ET SupportAuthor Commented:
Hi all,

Just realized "Windows server Essentials experience" is already installed as a role in the server. Could this be  a problem ?
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
systechadminConsultantCommented:
Please Make sure that remote powershell is enabled for the user set-user username -RemotePowerShellEnabled $true

and also check the Exchange and AD time is in sync.
0
ET SupportAuthor Commented:
It was Windows Essential experience the trouble. Removed it and everything seems to be perfect now. Thanks to all for your valuable contributions
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Exchange

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.

Question has a verified solution.

Are you are experiencing a similar issue? Get a personalized answer when you ask a related question.

Have a better answer? Share it in a comment.