Changed DC and AD to from 2003R2 to 2012R2, now I'm getting "Domain Controller could not be contacted.

I transferred AD and DNS to a new domain controller. Then changed the IP and name of the old one and shut it down. I changed the new server's IP to the old one, then tried to change the new server's name to the old one. But when I try to see AD, I am getting the following message: The following Domain Controller could not be contacted:  ED01. The interface is unknown.

Prior to changing the IPs and names, I had the AD working after the transfer with the old server shutdown. I tried to "go back" by putting the new server's IP back to what it initially was. But I was unable to change its name to its initial name (so it has the old server's name which I wanted, but I am stuck and can't get AD up).

The DNS server has the ED01 name. When I go to AD and 'Change Directory Server', Change to: This Domain Controller and type in the current name of the new server, its status is Online, but when I select it and click OK, I get the error above.
edison04Systems Analyst Sr.Asked:
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

x
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

David Johnson, CD, MVPOwnerCommented:
Did you remove from the domain the 2003 server?  Your metadata and roles are probably all messed up. Changing a computers name that is a DC is not a recommended (nor do I think supported option)

Restore the computer to before your changes (you do have a backup right?)  or start again from scratch
edison04Systems Analyst Sr.Author Commented:
unfortunately, I do not have a backup
edison04Systems Analyst Sr.Author Commented:
yes, I think my metadata is messed up. should I try to put the new server back to its initial name? The Default-first-site-name is still the new server's initial name. Do you think I should try to rename it back to its initial name?
Determine the Perfect Price for Your IT Services

Do you wonder if your IT business is truly profitable or if you should raise your prices? Learn how to calculate your overhead burden with our free interactive tool and use it to determine the right price for your IT services. Download your free eBook now!

David Johnson, CD, MVPOwnerCommented:
yes or change your metadata..  better to start afresh though.

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
edison04Systems Analyst Sr.Author Commented:
ok, I will try a netdom back to the first name for the new server
edison04Systems Analyst Sr.Author Commented:
netdom is not going to work because it can't contact the domain. How do I change the metadata?
ktaczalaCommented:
did you DCpromo (demote it) the old Domain Controller?
Did you transfer all the FSMO roles?
Renaming a domain controller---Never a good idea.
edison04Systems Analyst Sr.Author Commented:
Yes, it was fully functional as a DC / AD with the old server shut down. The problem occurred when I tried to change its name. Is my only option to call MS and pay for help?
David Johnson, CD, MVPOwnerCommented:
turn on the server 2003 box and start anew by removing the AD roles and unjoining from the domain
edison04Systems Analyst Sr.Author Commented:
I actually already removed the AD roles and fully transferred all the right stuff. I used a set of instructions. That was last weekend. It functioned fine all week. Then this weekend I changed the names and now AD doesn't work and I cannot change the name back.
edison04Systems Analyst Sr.Author Commented:
Once I realized it had to be the metadata because of your suggestion, I stopped trying to solve it myself and called Microsoft because there would be too many details for me to find them all. They ended up tweaking the registry 'computername' and also computername stuff in the IP section and that fixed it. Suggesting the metadata problem made me realize I couldn't handle it myself. Thanks for your help.
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Active Directory

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.