I leave my computer on all the time, when I went to use my vista desktop computer yesterday with RAID 1, there was a Norton Pop-up on my screen stating, “Large amount of outbound data or traffic or something like that.)
At this point, I thought I would scan for viruses, and also thought I should update Norton's virus definitions first. After updating Norton's virus definitions, Norton wanted to reboot, I agree to the reboot, and when the computer started back up, that when it displayed a black screen with a working cursor and a popup that stated, “Windows Explorer has stopped working”
Here is a list of what I did next:
1. I tried rebooting again and received the same error message, along with some other pop-up windows that said my dictionary was loaded, but this time I did a Ctrl+Alt+Del which would also allow me to go to the task manager. Once in Task manager, I went to new task and type CMD and type SFC/scannow. SFC found one file that needed to be replaced and successfully replaced. Once I rebooted I could see the windows vista welcome screen which I couldn’t see before.
2. I rebooted again and use the F8 key and selected “Last known good configuration” which did not start; instead it started CHKDSK instead of “Last known good configuration." As it was running CHKDSK, it found a few issues, and then it froze. I had to do a power off to reboot.
3. I did run CHKDSK again, and it found “The volume Bitmap is incorrect and windows also found problems with the files system. I also run CHKDSK again with /f, and I believe that is also set.
4. This time I rebooted into safe mode, but safe mode wouldn’t work it just was a black screen with the word safe in each corner (I know that is normal) and a pop-up that said, “Windows Explorer has stopped working." At this point, I had to do another Power Off to reboot because nothing worked.
5. I also went back to CMD and run Explorer.exe, and that didn’t work.
6. I would also like to scan for viruses with Norton but can’t get back into Norton's window to run a scan.
If you have any ideas on what my next few steps should be I would really appreciate your help!
I don’t want to do in-place vista windows re-install, only as a last resort.
This is a good learning project for me on how to troubleshoot Windows start-up problems.
Thanks for any help you may provide.