My laptop is an HP EliteBook 8560w. I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Here is the history.
1. My laptop battery was working fine. Could operate or 2-3 hours on battery power alone.
2. Suddenly my computer would not charge the battery any more. It said "plugged in, not charging". The power adapter is not bad. I have another HP laptop and the adapter will charge that one just fine.
3. I ordered a new battery
4. The new battery works (sort of)
Here is what is happening now with the new battery.
1. When I plug in the power adapter it says "Plugged in, charging" but it will say the charge percentage is very low (like 1 or 2%). Then after several hours it will instantly change from 1-2% to 100% fully charged.
2. When I unplug the power adapter the computer immediately restarts. After rebooting the battery indicator shows 0% remaining. But the machine will operate under batter power for 2-3 hours.
Obviously the battery is good and something is wrong internally with how the computer is recognizing the charge state. Here is what I have tried so far.
1. In Device Manager I have deleted all the Microsoft ACPI-compliant Control Method Battery drivers and then reinstalled them.
2. I have tried to calibrate the battery by fully charging the battery, then unplugging the power adapter and letting the machine run on battery power until it dies. Then I plug it back in until it's fully charged and do it again. I've done this several times without any success.
At this point I'm out of ideas. Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.