Microsoft Server 2012 R2 Dataserver Licensing Question

Hypothetically speaking. . . if I buy a server that comes installed with Server 2012 R2 Datacenter from a company that went out of business, what licenses do I need for my users?

Lets say there are ten people in the company, and this server acts as a DC/File server.  Two of the people work remotely.  In this scenario, would I need:

Ten Server 2012 User Cals or
Ten Server 2012 Device Cals (if that was the number of devices in AD on the server)
Two User or Device Remote Desktop Services Cals

My confusion comes in as far as what product do I buy?  Product ID 6VC-01754, 6VC-01756, R18-03683, R18-03755, R18-04092, R18-04281 etc.  I understand that there are different product numbers for different levels and for government, charity, etc.  This is for a business and I want to make sure that I purchase the correct one.  Can someone tell me the correct product ID for what I need to purchase please.  Thank you.
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

David Johnson, CD, MVPOwnerCommented:
Ten Server 2012 User/Device Cals (user cals are more expensive)
Two User/Device Remote Desktop Services Cals

Your choice and it depends upon your specific scenario) for users that have deskop/laptop/tablet then get user cals.. if only 10 devices but 50 users (24/7 rotating shift) then get device CAL's
Lee W, MVPTechnology and Business Process AdvisorCommented:
First, Licensing Disclaimer
License information provided here is "best efforts".  The comments of the respondents are based on interpretation of the license agreements and their knowledge of the particular laws and regulations in their geographic location.  Laws in your location may invalidate certain aspects of the license and/or licenses can change.  "They told me on Experts-Exchange" will not be a valid excuse in an audit.  You need to contact the license granting authority to confirm any advice offered here.

If the license on the server is OEM, then purchasing the server includes the license.  If the license is volume, you definitely need to contact MS to see if you can transfer the license into your company name.  If it's retail, then it's transferrable.

Whether you get user or device CALs depends on how your business works... MOST business would be better off getting USER CALs.  In which case, you need one user CAL PER HUMAN BEING (not user account) that will access the server.  

*IF* you intend to make RDS services available, then you need RDS CALs either per device or per user.  Again, most likely Per User is a better option.  And like the CALs, it's based on PER HUMAN BEING not per account and DEFINITELY NOT per concurrent connection.  

CALs are transferrable once every 90 days unless a person is terminated.
User CALs are R18-04281.  RDS user CALs are 6VC-02073

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
skbryanAuthor Commented:
Thank you both for your assistance.
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Windows Server 2012

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.