We have a Windows 2003 File server and this our main File server for the staff and students on our network and my predecessors created a partition “E” on this server and within this drive we have different Shares.
Currently, the total user data on “E” drive is 1.5 TB. Now I want to migrate all the data to our new 2012 server. We use VMware and I have a Windows 2012 R2 Standard Virtual server and only it has the C drive and I am going to add another Partition “E” on this server to migrate all the Data from Win2003 server to this new Win2012 server.
1) From the vSphere console, I will add a new Hard disk to this server with a Free space of 2TB. (Please let me know if there is any particular settings that I need to select during adding new Hard disk)
2) I am not sure as how to set up this as a file server; do I need to add any roles?
3) What is the best way of the copying the data from Win2003- Win2012- Is there any software or script I need to use.
4) Will the NTFS and share right be copied from Win2003 to Win2012
5) Currently for every user the shares get mapped through the Login VBS scripts. Is there a better way of doing this?
Please suggest your help much appreciated to set up this file server is a best way.