Cannot Rename and / or Delete a module in Access 2010 project (.adp)

Submenu showing Rename/Delete options greyed out (not available)Submenu showing Rename/Delete options available for selectionBoth frontend databases (.adp) are using Access 2010 yet one database won't allow me to Rename/Delete a module (see first attached file - DeleteRenameProblem) while the other database will (see second attached file - DeleteRenameOK). In fact both frontend databases connect to the same backend SQL 2008R database.

The first frontend database (the one that won't let me Rename/Delete a module) was originally developed under Access 2007 (.adp) and upgraded to Access 2010 (.adp).
The second frontend database was developed using Access 2010 (.adp).

I created a new frontend 2010 Access .adp database and imported all the Modules/Macros/Forms and Reports from the  frontend 2010 Access.adp that won't let me Rename/Delete modules but I still come up with the same problem.

I also tried the Compact/Repair approach but ended up with the same result.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with the frontend database that won't let me Rename/Delete modules and/or point me in the right direction as to where to look for a solution. (It appears it may have something to do with the upgrade from Access 2007 to Access 2010). I've looked on the internet but I can't find anything there either (maybe not asking the right question).

Many thanks in Advance - Michael
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Jim Dettman (Microsoft MVP/ EE MVE)President / OwnerCommented:
Does it allow you to open modules and make modifications?

AdlermAuthor Commented:
Jim Dettman (Microsoft MVP/ EE MVE)President / OwnerCommented:
Sorry for the delay in getting back to this.

I could not think of anything off-hand that would account for this, so I wanted to try and duplicate if possible.

I was unable to and can't even come up with anything out side of database permissions that might be related to this.

Do you have a sample of the file I can look at?   if not, is it only the one module that you can't rename, or is it everyone?

Determine the Perfect Price for Your IT Services

Do you wonder if your IT business is truly profitable or if you should raise your prices? Learn how to calculate your overhead burden with our free interactive tool and use it to determine the right price for your IT services. Download your free eBook now!

AdlermAuthor Commented:
Hi Jim

I've figured out - after many hours of investigating - what was causing the sub menu to disallow the Rename/Delete  options. It turned out that I had  a macro in the autoexec function that Locked the Navigation Pane.

 I think I initially set up the Lock Navigation Pane macro (many years ago) assuming it would lock the Navigation Pane so that the users would not be able to see the database objects (Tables, Forms, Reports, Modules, Macros). Unfortunately the Lock Navigation Pane does not work this way, rather the user can still open the Navigation Pane and see the database objects but blocks the user from modifying them.

Not sure how I award the points to you but they are yours for sending you on a wild goose chase and can only say many thanks for your time an effort.

Cheers Michael

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
Jim Dettman (Microsoft MVP/ EE MVE)President / OwnerCommented:
No harm, no foul for a goose chase....we've all been there.

 Normally I'd add that you should give an assist for anyone that helped get you there, but I don't even think I managed to do that.

Best part; I learned something new today<g>.

AdlermAuthor Commented:
I actually solved the problem myself - after several hour using a trial and error approach.

Initially I thought the problem only related to Modules but in fact it affected all the other database objects.

As it turned out the reason why I kept getting the problem was because every time I loaded the application it executed the autoexec procedure which in turn executed a Lock Navigation Pane command.

I narrowed down the problem by creating an new 2010 Access.adp  frontend database, imported the modules and then imported the other database objects (Macro, Forms, Reports) one object type at a time  but each time checking the sub menu to see if the sub menu Rename/Delete options were available.

All was OK until I close the application and then reopened it.

This indicated that something was amiss during the Load process which in turn lead me to investigate the Autoexec procedure. After stepping through the Autoexec process it became pretty apparent where the problem was occurring.

I'd still like to go on record and thank Jim for his time and efforts. I didn't give him much to go but at least he tried.
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Microsoft Access

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.