Hey Guys -
After 2-3 years of use, I'm starting to have issues with my primary desktop. Recently (and despite OS re-installs), the only way I can get it not to freeze soon after boot is by under-clocking the CPU in the BIOS (below OEM suggested speeds). What makes this difficult is that it's not thermal related as all temps are well within range.
Anyways, below is a list of what the system is used for and it's specs. I'm going to try to salvage a couple of parts from it for the new build. Below that are my questions and 2 builds I made to decide from...
What The System is For
- It's my primary system
- Stays on 24/7
- Hosts 7-8 Python & HTTP based apps
- Media server (Mostly SMB traffic from local computers running Kodi)
- FTP / FTPS / SSH Server
- Virtual Machines
- Pretty much everything :)
Current System Specs
- OS: Windows 8.1 x64 Ent. (Fully Patched)
- CPU: Intel 3770k CPU (Currently underclocked from 3,000ghz to about 2600ghz via BIOS)
- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H (f15q (latest) BIOS)
- RAM: 16gb Kingston DDR3-1333 SDRAM (Also underclocked about 15% via BIOS)
- x1 256gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD (OS Installed)
- x1 32tb Drive Pool (Stablebit)
- x1 256gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD (pool's data transfer cache)
- x9 SATA Disks (each is 3-5gb)
- x1 500gb Hybrid disk (Game installs & App Caches)
- Video: Nvidia Geforce GTX660 3gb
- Power 1000 watt Corsair /w smart connection
1. Should I go with a lower end LGA2011-v3 build or higher end LGA1150 one? It seems that LGA1150 is being phased out and I want to be able to upgrade later so the base system lasts longer.
2. Is it currently worth the extra cost of LGA-2011v3 instead of LGA1150? Keep in mind I'd have to purchase all brand new RAM, too.
3. Is there another socket I should look at (newer than LGA 2011v3 instead?
Base Builds to Pick From
Below are the two base builds (1 per socket type) that I've got in mind. If you suggest something different for either no matter which I choose, please let me know...
- CPU: Intel i7-4790K
- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
- RAM: Undecided - Would like to have a total of 32gb and considered using at least some of old ram (4x4gb) but would obviously like to still use old PC for something
- CPU: Intel i7-5820K
- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-SOC
- RAM: GSkill 32gb (4 x 8gb) F4-2400C15q-32GRR
Applies to Both
- Windows 10 x64
- Case: Undecided
- Video: Use existing GTX660 (Can use CPU integrated graphics for old PC when retired)
- Power: Use existing 1000w power supply (Have old ~300W I can use for retired PC)
- SATA: MB has 10 sata ports. Plan on installing one of my PCI-E SATA cards (adds 2 ports) in it
Overall, it's going to cost me a lot more to get the 2011v3, I don't have unlimited funds whatsoever, and don't know if it would be worth it. However, if it future proofs the new build by a year or more, it might be enough to make me get it. Any suggestions or opinions are welcome.