WINDOWS DHCP AND CHROMEBOOKS

Just learning today, apparently there is a known issue since 2013 regarding the use of Chromebooks on a Windows DHCP network.  Not uncommon to be plagued with BAD_ADDRESS in the pool.  Also, reports from other school techs say the cure is getting away from Windows DHCP and going to a Linux based  DHCP solution.

Over the summer we have implemented a pure Windows DHCP/DNS environment in the K-12 district.  With school just a week away and several Chromebooks about to come on line, what experiences and solutions can the experts here at EE provide?  What is the technical issue with Windows DHCP and Chromebooks?
LVL 1
Lance McGrewRETIREDAsked:
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

x
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

it_saigeDeveloperCommented:
First I have heard about it so I would have to do more research.  Just some food for thought, but it may be possible to use DHCP reserved addresses that way your Chromebooks will re-use the same IP that is assigned to them.

I'll post back when I learn more.

-saige-
Lance McGrewRETIREDAuthor Commented:
First few paragraphs at the following link describes what others are reporting.

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=377990
it_saigeDeveloperCommented:
One proposed solution I found involves configuring IP Conflict detection on the DHCP Server.
Usually BAD ADDRESS temporary leases are created by the DHCP server when an IP conflict is detected. We have researched this issue and as far as I know this could be related to many things on network such as Wireless Access Points, printers, any Layer 3 equipment or just any mobile device can cause this issue with DHCP server.
Source

1. Open DHCP.

2. In the console tree, click the applicable DHCP server.

3. On the Action menu, click Properties.

4. Click the Advanced tab.

5. For Conflict detection attempts, type a number greater than 0 (zero) and less than 6, and then click OK.

The number you type determines how many times the DHCP server tests an IP address before leasing it to a client.Source - Enable IP Address Conflict Detection

-saige-

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
Making Bulk Changes to Active Directory

Watch this video to see how easy it is to make mass changes to Active Directory from an external text file without using complicated scripts.

it_saigeDeveloperCommented:
Found another proposed solution.
It is a known issue with windows DHCP servers and chromebooks, What i recommend you do is go into chrome://flags on a device and select: Experimental static ip configuration
 When done reboot and go into network and input the IP address the DHCP server reserved and your nameservers, Reboot the device and connect to the network.
Source

-saige-
Lance McGrewRETIREDAuthor Commented:
-saige-   I also ran across your last comment however that solution seems overwhelming with several hundred Chromebooks.

Sadly we may have to abandon the Windows DHCP and resort back to the original Linux based DHCP.  Wish it would become clear what is different.
Joseph MoodyBlogger and wearer of all hats.Commented:
Have you actually seen this issue yet? I manage a school district with 1000+ chromebooks. My DHCP servers are 2012R2. I just checked and I have zero bad addresses. I do use conflict detection with a value of 1 though.
Lance McGrewRETIREDAuthor Commented:
Joseph -- we have only noticed a few BAD_ADDRESS in the scope.  Seems like it must have been toward end of last school year when we temporarily enabled the Windows DHCP services.  Nothing is showing up through the summer.

So your thinking is, having the conflict detection with value of 1 is the answer?
Joseph MoodyBlogger and wearer of all hats.Commented:
That is what I have but I have not see the issue described in those other links. Every now and then, I expect to see a bad address entry in DHCP. Most of these, in my experience, are caused by faulty devices or someone configuring an IP incorrectly (for whatever reason...)
Lance McGrewRETIREDAuthor Commented:
I found the default conflict setting to be zero and have moved up to 1.   In another week, school starts, so I guess the test will start.  Meanwhile we will keep our old DHCP system disabled but online just in case we need to revert back.

Many thanks to Saige and Joseph for their replies.
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Google Chrome OS

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.