Changing user name

My user folder name is currently c:\users\rgtur

How can I change it to c:\users\Ray?

I'm using Windows 10; however, I think the same steps will work for Windows 8.5

Ray TurnerSenior ConsultantAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Dan CraciunIT ConsultantCommented:
Use regedit, go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

One of those will have a key "ProfileImagePath" with the value "c:\users\rgtur"

Change it to "c:\users\Ray".


1. create a restore point before, in case something goes wrong
2. the folder c:\users\Ray should exist.
3. the desktop, my documents, etc, will be empty until you copy the files from your old profile.

Frankly, it's more fuss than worth. I would simply create a new user called Ray.


Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
Ray TurnerSenior ConsultantAuthor Commented:
Dan CraciunIT ConsultantCommented:
You're welcome.

Glad I could help!
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Windows OS

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.

Question has a verified solution.

Are you are experiencing a similar issue? Get a personalized answer when you ask a related question.

Have a better answer? Share it in a comment.