Netgear Switches


I have inherited a site that contains a lot of GSM712F, GSM7212,GSM7224, GS728TS switches that need replacing.

It has the following setup :-

2 main equipment rooms that are linked via Fibre by a GSM 7212 (Room 1) and a GSM712F (Room 2)

There are approx. 5 Rooms (User) each with containing a switch that links back via Fibre to Room 1 and another 5 Rooms (User) that link via fibre to Room 2.

This is all a single default VLAN that has a default gateway of which is provided by an HSRP address over a MPLS network
There is a primary router and a secondary  The internal LAN is /24.


I am looking to upgrade all the switches to due to their age and wanting to increase the port bandwidth.  Also I need to replace the 5 user
switches that point back to each main room with 48 ports and more importantly split these into two VLAN of 24 ports each (VLAN 2 and VLAN 3) that are completely separate and have no inter routing.

My Plan


Place a M4100-12GF in each main equipment and connect via a Trunk.

 Place a Netgear GS 748T in each user room connect back via a trunk to the main equipment room.

 Place the Top 24 Ports on each user switch to VLAN 2 and the bottom to VLAN 3.


As I require each VLAN to have its own internet gateway for segregation requirements and be totally contained.
Is this possible using these Netgears. Or would I need to router / firewall to split the traffic depending on source address.
Mongo PeckAsked:
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Aaron TomoskyDirector of Solutions ConsultingCommented:
As long as your internet router can be the gateway in both subnets that plan sounds fine.
nociSoftware EngineerCommented:
You will need a router to get traffic from one LAN to another. Or from a LAN to the Internet.
So your Firewall/Internet Accesspoint Router will need to be capable of handling to separate LAN ports, or VLAN's on a trunk.

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
Mongo PeckAuthor Commented:
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.