We had some strong storms move through our area last night and took out power at alot of clients, among them is a client whose exchange database will no longer mount correctly after the server lost power.
OS is SBS 2011
First thing i did was run eseutil on the database using the /mh switch and it told me it had a dirty shutdown status. First thing i tried doing was copying the log files and the database out of the exchange directory and, after using /ml to verify the log files, i tried using eseutil on it. I ran it using the /r switch and it failed saying the database is corrupted. the specific command i used was: eseutil /R E00 /l "c:\exchangerecover3' /s "c:\exchangerecover3" /d "c:\exchangerecover3"
We have a good local backup (full) that ran the night before and several shadow copy backups in the previous versions. I have tried restoring the local backup that is stored on a NAS using windows server backup but it fails with:
Name: Microsoft Exchange Server\Microsoft Information Store\*servername*\*longstring of numbers*
Message: The application extension plug-in failed to perform the post recovery steps for the component
Next I tried copying a previous version of the folder and then backed up the entire database folder, and replaced it with that previous version and that didn't work either. I made a third copy of the original database and set it aside in a folder and ran eseutil /p on it as a last resort, but i haven't tried anything with that yet, so its just sitting there.
Does anyone know of anyway to get this going? I think that my best option is going to be that windows backup, it took a full successful backup of everything, application, system state, files, bare metal, etc... I would think there is some other way to get it restored but I can't find that error on google, and the results I've found so far tell me to do what I already tried, which is:
1. click recovery in wsb
2. this server
4. select date and time
10. restore to original location
11. start backup ( i may have missed some steps as that was from memory but you get the idea)
I told exchange to allow the database to be overwritten during a recovery. And I have also tried it with roll-foward turned on or off. I also have circular logging enabled due to storage constraints on the server, but each backup is a full one and not a differential or incremental, so I wouldn't think that would be a problem.