Greetings. I'm refining some previous questions that have been answered pretty well.
I'll be introducing our first Windows Server 2012 as a DC in our Windows 2008 functional level (both forest and domain) domain.
My first questions is:
We are running Functional Level Windows Server 2008 (both forest and domain). Is there any reason to upgrade it to Functional Level Windows Server 2008 R2 prior to doing the adprep /forestprep on the domain ? At some point in the future, I'll retire all 2008 R2 DCs and just have 2012, but for now we won't be moving to functional level 2012.
Remaining question(s). These are the chronological steps I have to introduce the 2012 server and promote it. Are they essentially correct ?
1. Run "adprep /forestprep" from the Windows 2012 media.
2. Run "adprep /domainprep" from the Windows 2012 media.
3. Add Roles from new Windows 2012 Server. "Active Directory Domain Services".
4. Do not initially check "DNS" as a role, as that's checked under "Domain Controller Options" along with Global Catalog.
5. Replicate from any domain controller (or the current one with all roles ?).
6. After replication completes, move FSMO roles (all 5) to new DC.
Sound about right ?