I’m currently trying to fix the physical box Windows Server 2012 R2 domain controller in a remote site office where the AD replication is not going both ways.
Since this box is running as Domain Controller, DNS (AD-Integrated) and DHCP for the AD Site Office13, what would happens to the computers workstations when I demote the Domain Controller role above, wait 1 hour and then re-promote it again as domain controller ?
My plan are as follows to reduce 50 office users email outage and internet connection:
1. Change the DHCP scope DNS to point to Data Center
2. Reduce the DHCP scope into 1 hour
3. Demote AD role
5. Wait until 30 minutes
6. Promote as AD domain controller
7. Configure AD-Integrated (is it necessary ?)
8. Change the DHCP scope back to 8 days
9. Change the DHCP scope DNS into itself and one DNS server in Data Center AD Site.
Let me know if I missed anything important in the above steps ?