SharePoint 3.0 front end server not working


I am tasked with restoring share point functionality on a set of servers.  At first I discovered the server responsible for the web front end would not allow me to start any sites in IIS.  So, the IIS configuration was backed up, u installed , then Restored.  I am now able to start the sites, but when I navigate to the sharepoint URL it reads "service unavailable". I would like to know the steps to take to either resolve this on the server, or bring up the  share point web front end on another server if needed.

The ultimate goal here is to get share point 3.0 running , then Convert to Sharepoint Office 365.

The servers in involved here are Windows 2003 Enterprise 32Bit

Thank you,

Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Walter CurtisSharePoint AEDCommented:
You mention WFE, so I am thinking you have an APP server too. Can you access SharePoint from that server directly. That quick test will help you determine if it is a farm problem or just a problem with the WFE.

If you can access via the APP server, then you might not need the WFE for your migration. If the APP server also is throwing a service unavailable error, then start by checking your app pools. Are they running or are they stopped. If stopped, try to start. If no-go, then check event viewer to see if there is any information about why. Possibly credentials they run in the context of is not correct or has changed. Not sure what type of restore you are referring to, but that might have been the cause for throwing things out of sync.

So, try the quick steps, if that doesn't help, please explain what kind of restore you did.

Hope that helps
drudesillAuthor Commented:
Hello and thank you for comenting,Sharepoint Central Admin ScreenSP Application Pool stopped
The restore was in regards to IIS V 6.0.  None of the websites on the Web Front End would start in IIS, they would state something to the effect of "the service failed to start in a timely fashion" and then die.  So, I made sure I had an IIS configuration backup, then proceeded to uninstall IIS, and then reinstall it. Once reinstalled, I was able to restore the IIS configuration and I can now load sharepoint, but am apparently having an issue with a sharepoint application pool, see attached.
Walter CurtisSharePoint AEDCommented:
The app pools run in a user context. That means that it need a user name and password. It is common to use a service account, not a real person's account. In the restore process, the user name is recovered, but not the password. Here is a link from MS about how to set that:

Configuring Application Pool Identity with IIS 6.0 (IIS 6.0)

Hope that helps...

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
drudesillAuthor Commented:
Thank you very much, it seems to be running now after making an adjustment to the password.

Best Regards,

Walter CurtisSharePoint AEDCommented:
Thanks, glad that helped..
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Office 365

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.