I have an older XP (Pro SP3) system used for archiving and such, that has decided not to boot. The system will boot to the XP Windows splash screen, the left to right progress bar goes around a bit, and then just stops. If I try to boot in any of the safe modes it just stops, with the last line on the screen being mup.sys.
I have searched both EE and the internet in general for suggestions, but none have worked so far. This is what I have done.
1. Boot into Recovery Console and ran chkdsk twice. The first time it corrected errors, the second time it was clean. Boot results were the same after.
2. I loaded a utility and ran extensive memory tests, all were clean.
3. In Recovery Console I can access all disks (2) and partitions (all NTFS), and see all my files. Since I was not aware of the need to set security such that I could copy these files prior to a failure, anytime I try to CD anywhere but the system directories I get "access denied".
4. Using Recovery Console I replaced the registry files both with bare bones ones from the XP cd, and also those from recovery points, with no change, system boot still hangs at the same place.
5. I downloaded and tried BartPE, Knoppix, and Auroa and none of these will boot. BartPe hangs at the same place as a Normal boot on the splash screen, and the other two just hang during boot.
Everything I have tried to date seems to be all that I can find as things to try. I would also note that I would simply remove the disks and put them on another system, but the Dell they are in is the only system I have that has an ATAPI controller.
At this point I am asking if anyone has any other suggestions as to what I might try?