Link to home
Start Free TrialLog in
Avatar of Ralph Gould
Ralph GouldFlag for United States of America

asked on

Fiber replacing DSL between 2 buildings.

I currently use a DSL line to connect the ethernet networks in each building. We're going to replace the DSL with Fiber. Question is What switch(es) do I need that will handle ethernet cat5 and fiber to connect to windows and Unix servers. Fiber newbe
Avatar of NetExpert Network Solutions Pte Ltd
NetExpert Network Solutions Pte Ltd
Flag of Singapore image

Link to home
This solution is only available to members.
To access this solution, you must be a member of Experts Exchange.
Start Free Trial
Avatar of wlacroix

I am a fan of the HP 3500 YL series, we have 80 of them in the field. (might be end of life now)

We also use the HP 2810G and some fiber transceivers. as well as the HP 5412zl and 5406 zl with fiber and 10G modules installed.

Its honestly about budget and how far your fiber is going (will depend on the type of fiber and transceivers)
It also depends on the traffic type.

Our 3500 YLs use multi vlans to distinguish voice traffic vs data traffic. As well as access policies. We also use SNTP to trap netflow data and log routes using solarwinds.
Most of the time were just monitoring how much traffic is on the line and who is using it. Helps us decide on upgrades and when to do them (network wise)
These types of switches are expensive though, but the power they provide is an asset.
HP also has a life time warranty on them.

Our 5406zl is designed for iscsi traffic on a vmware cluster.

Our 5412zl is designed for core applications, includes desktops, voip phones and servers. As well as other core connectivity to another dozen locations throughout the building, some connected via fiber some not.