Exchange 2013 RPC over HTTP Issue

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. I'm in the process of preparing an Exchange 2013 environment to work in co-existence with our existing Exchange 2010. Eventually, 2010 will be decommissioned. For the most part, things have went pretty smooth, but now I am at a standstill. Here's the scenario:

I move a user mailbox from 2010 to 2013
Outlook needs to be restarted
When Outlook comes back, I get "The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable..."
I've determined that this is due to the automatically configured RPC over HTTP settings.
I've determined what settings need to be in there in order for the mailbox to connect. (the default settings do not work for us)
This occurs on new profile creation as well during the "Log on to server" portion of the autodiscover configuration.

However, I cannot for the life of me seem to find where on the server side I can make changes to what gets automatically populated in the RPC over HTTP fields during profile configuration. I realize it can be changed client-side, but with this many machines, that's not feasible, and I'm reluctant to use GPO since we will be in co-existence for a fair amount of time. So ultimately, I am looking for a way to change the parameters that are automatically configured for the RPC over HTTP setting in Outlook at the point of autodiscover/profile configuration.

Thanks in advance!
Veritas781Asked:
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

x
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

MASEE Solution Guide - Technical Dept HeadCommented:
For Exchange 2013 to work you should have outlook anywhere enabled on all users/outlook.
Your autodiscover and common name should be pointed to Exchange2013 server.

For testing purpose move one user and add host entries of autodiscover and common name in your PC/laptop which points to Exchange2013. Then check outlook is working or no

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
Veritas781Author Commented:
Hi MAS, thanks for the reply.

The name that gets populated is correct. It's the other settings that have the issue. The "On slow networks, connect using HTTP first, then connect using TCP/IP" box is checked. When I uncheck that box, Outlook connects. Is there a way to change this globally, perhaps a setting on the server, rather than having to make the change on each Outlook client?
Veritas781Author Commented:
Recent development. I've determined that the cause of the issue is different from what I originally thought. Right now, when a new profile is configured using autodiscover internally, it resolves to the correct hostname of the CAS/MBX server like it should. However, that never converts to the server GUID like it should. If I manually configure settings and specify the GUID instead of the server's hostname, everything works. I just can't seem to figure out why it's successfully resolving and adding the hostname, but failing to configure the account with the mailbox store GUID during profile setup.
Determine the Perfect Price for Your IT Services

Do you wonder if your IT business is truly profitable or if you should raise your prices? Learn how to calculate your overhead burden with our free interactive tool and use it to determine the right price for your IT services. Download your free eBook now!

Miguel Angel Perez MuñozCommented:
Have you even try configure Exchange 2013 using HTTP MAPI? This may give you feature you are looking for. Remember, you need Outlook 2010 with SP2 and twice patches or Outlook 2013.
Veritas781Author Commented:
Yes, I've tried that. It also fails unfortunately. All of our Outlook 2010 clients are on SP2, and the same issue exists on the Outlook 2013 clients that we currently have.
Veritas781Author Commented:
Autodiscover was misconfigured. Once that was resolved, the issue went away.
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Exchange

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.