Outllook 2007 0x80040201 Error when sending

I have a customer who used to get their email via Exchange server.  They've left their email provider, and I now have them set up in Outlook using IMAP.

Before the switch I exported their Exchange email to a PST.

I removed the Exchange account, and added the PST of exported email.  Send/receive seems to work for all domains except his own.  When I try to send an email to anyone on his own domain, I get a send/receive error of 0x80040201.  I repaired all PSTs using ScanPST.  No difference.

I figured out that if I remove the old exported Exchange PST file, it works fine.  Having that PST file in Outlook is causing a problem.

I created a new empty PST, added it as a data file.  Removed the old PST of exported Exchange mail.  Ran Outlook and imported the old email into the new empty PST.  No difference.

Anyone encountered this?  I've never seen this kind of issue before.
LVL 1
DaveWWWAsked:
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

x
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

JohnBusiness Consultant (Owner)Commented:
Open up Send / Receive window (Click on Details >>) and then let us know what the error is (it should give some words outlining a reason, not just an error code).
DaveWWWAuthor Commented:
No details - just "unknown error".

I have just figured it out, however: It is the autocomplete function.  When the autocomplete is tied to a contact entry in the old Exchange database, it puts the correct name in the To: box, but it results in an error on send.

The remedy is to bring up the entry in autocomplete, and then press the delete key to remove it, then re-enter the correct address.

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
JohnBusiness Consultant (Owner)Commented:
Perhaps clear Autocomplete and send from Contacts. Autocomplete will quickly rebuild.
Determine the Perfect Price for Your IT Services

Do you wonder if your IT business is truly profitable or if you should raise your prices? Learn how to calculate your overhead burden with our free interactive tool and use it to determine the right price for your IT services. Download your free eBook now!

DaveWWWAuthor Commented:
Well, in this case that's not really necessary, as the offending contacts are few (perhaps only 5 or so).  All other contacts behave normally, as it turns out.
JohnBusiness Consultant (Owner)Commented:
Then just remake the 5 autocomplete entries you need to remake.  So far as I know, you cannot selectively delete autocomplete entries, so you need to try to change them.
DaveWWWAuthor Commented:
I've been able to delete autocomplete entries on a one-by-one basis by simply typing the start to their name or address.  Then as it comes up, use the arrow keys to highlight it, and press delete.  It's handy for deleting incorrect email addresses in autocomplete, for example.
DaveWWWAuthor Commented:
Thanks John.  As I mentioned earlier, simply deleting the autocompletes that weren't working turned out to be the solution in this case.
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Outlook

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.