Problem adding Exchange account to Outlook on non-domain laptop

I have a laptop which is connected to our company wireless network. Unlike the other laptops it is not a member of the AD domain.
When I try to create an exchange account in outlook 2007 and enter the Exchange Server name or IP Address I get an error "The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable" and the username check fails.

The strange thing is that if I enter the IP address of the DNS server, not the Mail Server, the username check works and the username and mail server names are underlines. It replaced the DNS server IP with the mail server name.
but I still can't access the exchange server.

I have checked DNS and the DNS setting on the laptop and they appear ok.

This problem has only occurred since we moved from Exchange 2003 SBS to 2013.  Its like an old exchange record is in DNS or Active directory??
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Scott CSenior EngineerCommented:
That's because you need to be using autodiscover to connect to Exchange.  With Exchange 2013 it's not possible to enter the Exchange servername or IP address.

The way to manually configure the profile is to enter the name of your DC and it should resolve and work.

But it looks like something is still wrong with your AutoD.

Go to this page and do the "Outlook Autodiscover" test.

Look at the results and see where to go from there.
EICTAuthor Commented:
The person has gone for the day with their laptop so I will try this tomorrow.
Thanks for your help. I'll respond then.
EICTAuthor Commented:
Sorry it's been a while since looking at this.
There is definitely a problem with the Autodiscovery service .

On Testing TCP port 443 on host to ensure its listening and open
The specified port is either blocked, not listening or not producing the expected response.

How do I configure
Do I need to add a record in  the internal and external DNS for this  (i.e. and what does it point to? Where is the XML file held?

Kash2nd Line EngineerCommented:
you need to try the following.
1. Close outlook.
2. go to Control Panel
3. Select Mail
4. Add new account
5. Select Exchange and the additional setup
6. go to connection tab
7. in the first box type server URL
8. in the second box, type: msstd:url
9. select authentication as BASIC
10. close that box
11. back in first windows, type servers FQDN
12. Type username or email address and click check name
13. it should then ask you for password etc and once verified it should autopopulate
14. it should works then

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
EICTAuthor Commented:
This did the trick. I also had to sort out certificate errors by manually adding the route CA into my trusted CAs.
Autodiscover still does not work but this gets around the problem. Thank you
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.