Browsing To GMail

Windows 7 PC
Member of domain
IE 11

Have a very odd issue with a user here.  User can't seem to browse to GMail.  User can get to many other https:// sites.  It's very odd in that about 2 out of 10 times, it will work for the end user.  No other users complaining of this issue.  At one time, he could go to Google's main page, then click on the GMail link from there and get to his GMail email account.  Definitely can't do that now.  Have flushed DNS, have enabled both SSL protocols, have enabled TLS 1.0, 1.1, 1.2.  Still cannot connect to GMail.  Have even included https://mail.google.com as a trusted site, no luck.  DNS servers are our standard DNS servers we use, everyone else is using the same ones.  

One odd thing about is that the user sits in a different OU in Active Directory and this issue actually follows the user from branch to branch.  At this point, I'm looking for any advice.
akdreamingAsked:
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

x
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

strungCommented:
Has he tried with a different browser?

Have you tried pinging gmail from his computer, or doing a trace route?

Have you tried connecting using an IP address rather than an URL?

Have you checked his hosts file?

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
akdreamingAuthor Commented:
No, I haven't tried that yet.  However, I just removed him from the Active Directory he was part of and put him in with the rest of the users and now, everything works normally.  I can certainly try these tips if it starts acting funny again.  I have a feeling moving him from one OU to a different OU in AD is not really the true answer.  Kind of odd though now that it is working normally.

Concerning the hosts file, that is something we typically don't edit.  I'm certain there is no entry in the user's hosts file explicitly pointing to Google.  But I'll double check that.
akdreamingAuthor Commented:
I meant to say I removed the user from the AD organizational unit he belong to and moved him to a different one.
Determine the Perfect Price for Your IT Services

Do you wonder if your IT business is truly profitable or if you should raise your prices? Learn how to calculate your overhead burden with our free interactive tool and use it to determine the right price for your IT services. Download your free eBook now!

Mal OsborneAlpha GeekCommented:
A LOT of malicious software will attack your hosts file. Usually they add entries to stop antivirus software from being able to update, but blocking Gmail is certainly plausible.
akdreamingAuthor Commented:
I just looked at the hosts file.  Standard hosts file.  No entries in it made by us.  No additional entries made either...standard default hosts file.
akdreamingAuthor Commented:
Thanks.
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Internet Protocols

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.