I am getting ready to migrate an SBS 2003 environment to a Server 2012 Standard (not Essentials). Note that this site is NOT using Exchange 2003 or SharePoint on the SBS 2003 server currently although they are installed - so removing these servers is a consideration. I have a task list below, if those of you that may have more experience with this may have suggestions.
Basically I see doing the steps in this order HOWEVER one consideration is installing File and Printer share roles on the new 2012 server BEFORE doing the DCPromo on the 2012 server. I don't see an issue with that, but most of the forums I find seem to hint at moving data and printers in that 21 days time limit after adding the 2012 AD controller.
Also, does the 21 days on SBS start after adding the 2012 DC or after moving the FSMO roles? I've read different reports.
- Get latest updates on Destination 2012 server
- Run DCDIAG and REPLMON(?) on SOURCE SBS 2003 SERVER to identify AD issues
- Run Server 2003 Best Practice Analyzer on SOURCE SBS 2003 SERVER to check for errors.
- Get notes on Shares and Printers from Source 2003 server
- Raise the Domain Functional Level to 2003, Raise Forest Level to 2003
- Remove Exchange and Sharepoint. Sharepoint is in the Add/Remove Programs, need to find out if Exchange can be removed easily. Exchange not being used nor is SharePoint in the old or new environments.
- Run AD Role install on 2012 Server. ADPrep runs during the install of the AD DC role from what I’m reading. Run dcdiag and repadmin after
- Install File and Print services on Destination 2012 Server
- Create printer shares for printers
- Create file shares verify permissions on new share folders, migrate data to Destination 2012 Server
- Move FSMO roles to Destination 2012 Server
- On Source SBS 2003 Server run dcpromo to remove from domain