We are migrating to Cisco Phones and we are told we need CER licenses for some locations

Is this true as I want to be compliant with 911 requirements.  However I'm unclear that my vendor is saying I need it for some sites but not others.  Their statement was "Cisco Emergency Responder (CER) can be provided for all locations or some. "
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Do you have a centralized PRI or SIP trunk? Or do you have PSTN connectivity at each branch office?
operationsITAuthor Commented:
It's been my experience that if you have PSTN connectivity at each branch, you can route those calls out that branch's Voice Gateway and the proper outbound caller ID/ANI should be sent to the PSAP. Then the proper ALI should be populated to the PSAP as well. Where I've seen CER used is when there are multiple satellite branches going back through a centralized Voice Gateway.
Powerful Yet Easy-to-Use Network Monitoring

Identify excessive bandwidth utilization or unexpected application traffic with SolarWinds Bandwidth Analyzer Pack.

José MéndezCommented:
Cisco Emergency Responder user licenses are required for all types of devices capable of placing emergency calls, including wired IP phones, wireless IP phones, software telephony clients, and analog gateway foreign-exchange-station (FXS) ports.


He probably means that if you have some sites from where 911 calls won't be tracked, you don't need licenses for those devices.
Are you wanting to be notified internally of these calls? I'm saying that if you are just worried about the PSAP getting the correct information and you have PSTN connectivity at each branch, you don't necessarily need CER, but if you want 911 calls to be tracked internally, you may. Or you can look at Informacast Advanced Notification as well.
operationsITAuthor Commented:
No, mainly concerned with requirements and having 911 setup right and when my vendor says some sites need and some don't a red flag goes up.
I've done many deployments and have only installed CER a couple of times, if each branch office has PSTN connectivity, I route 911 calls out that branch's Voice Gateway it gets routed to the proper PSAP with the correct information.

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Voice Over IP

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.