I was able to help the police because my security camera was in the right place to capture a criminal in the act of breaking in to my neighbor's home. Fortunately, the neighbor was just arriving home, so the criminal ran before stealing anything.
Anyhow because my wife was so proud that my video may help to identify the criminal, she has green lighted my wish for a better security camera with higher resolution.
But there are so many choices!
Currently, I have a basic $350.00 4 channel LAView LV-KDV1402B6BP with terrible 600TVL camera resolution. I'm not so keen about LAView because my unit has been rather problematic over the past year and AFAIK they never offer software or firmware updates.
Ideally, I am looking for:
- 1080 resolution.
- The ability to use both wired and IP cameras (4 channel is all I require).
- Excellent software control (both over browser and iPhone app).
- Remote connection for viewing outside the home (over secure connection).
- Automatic Email with picture or video attachments.
- Must be a stand-alone box (like the LAView).
...and under $800
Super bonus (but pie in sky)... a video recorder system that also functions as a wireless (wireless sensors for doors/windows) home security. Does anything like this exist?