I remember about being exposed to a fibre channel SAN in the past but I don't recall the details.
I know that each host needs to have a hba (host bus adapter) card installed and that the volumes were made available to the hosts via a WWPN (WorldWide port number). Can someone help me refresh my mind and answer a couple of questions:
- Where was the WWPN inserted? in the SAN console?
- What was the device that actually assigns the host with the WWPN? Is it the fibre switch that interconnects the SAN and the hosts?
- In a Windows server, is there further configuration to be performed to be able to see the volume in disk management? like with iSCSI initiator (configure the discovery interface, connect to the target, etc)
- Is there further configuration to be made to present the volume on a ESXi host?
- Can you give me a combination of devices (brands and models) that I can use to implement a SAN infrastructure (hba, fibre switch, SAN fibre channel)?