I wish to create a storage pool that utilizes Virtual Hard Drives and Physical Hard Drives. I am a complete novice to this area, and I am confused by the options provided. Here are the details:
1. Operating System: WIndows Server 2012 R2 with Hyper-V Role configured.
2. No Virtual Machines configured yet.
3. 3 Physical Hard Drives installed and One Virtual Hard Drive configured. The Virtual Hard Drive configured via Computer Manager console.
4. All 4 hard drives initialized via Computer Manager console. No volumes assigned to the drives.
5. All 4 hard drives show up in the Physical Disks window of Server Manager Console, File and Storage Services, Volumes,Storage Pools. I assume that they are members of the Primordial Storage Pool.
6. When I start the New Storage Pool Wizard from the Server Manager console, I am able to complete it with all four drives selected. I have not completed the wizard. When I get to the summary screen, I select Cancel as the completion action.
7. When I opened the Computer Manager console, it prompted me to intialize the four drives. I completed this step.
8. The status of the drives in the Computer Manager console are as follows:
a. PhysicalDisk1: Disk 1, Basic, 1862.89 GB. Online, Unallocated
b. PhysicalDisk2: Disk 2, Basic, 1862.89 GB, Online, Unallocated
c. PhysicalDisk3: Disk 3, Basic, 1862.89 GB Online, Unallocated
d. PhysicalDisk8: Disk 8, Basic, 1986.88 BY, Online, Unallocated
Note that PhysicalDisk8 is the Virtual Hard Disk.
9. In Computer Manager console, a right click of Disks 1, 2, and 3 gives the following options:
a. New Simple Volume
b. New Spanned Volume
c. New Mirrored Volume
d. New Raid5 Volume
10. In Computer Manager console, a rick click of Disk8 only provides the New Simple Volume option. The others, except for Properties and Help, are grayed out.
11. I wish to have the VHD store data on the physical hard drives and to have the physical hard drives configured to mirror the data stored on the VHD.
How do I proceed?