Based on recommendation on this board, I have been installing ESXi on USB flash drives in the past, but never created a backup (just in case original USB flash drive goes bad over the time). So this weekend, as I was setting up a new VMware host, I wanted to create a backup flash drive.
So here is how it went:
1. I installed ESXi v6 on a first USB flash drive and rebooted the host several times successfully.
2. I created a virtual machine (installed windows 2012 server & a few apps). Now that I have a VM, I wanted to create a backup USB flash drive.
3. I put the ESXi v6 DVD into DVDROM, inserted a blank USB flash drive and installed ESXi on it.
4. I rebooted the host successfully and I opened VSphere client, but I did not see my Virtual machine - "Not Good".
5. So I stick my original USB into the host, restarted the server and then I saw my VM in VSphere client.
My attempt above was based on ID: 41032439
Obviously I misunderstood something here.
Should I have tried to duplicate the original USB flash drive instead of creating another one from the scratch?