I am trying to figure out how to run sql server on my local laptop.
I want to create a local database, and will not be connecting to a remote server. In management studio I can see a drum shaped icon with the name "Database Engine". If I expand that node, I see a folder named "Local Server Groups". If I expand that node, I can see another drum shaped icon with the name of my laptop. The icon has a red square with a white dot on it, to indicate that this service is not running. If I try and start this service it wont start and I get an error message. More specifically these are the steps I am doing, and the error message I receive.
1. right click on the database icon (Yellow Drum shaped) which has the name of my laptop next to it.
2. From the popup menu I select "Service Control" and then "Start"
3. I am now prompted with a dialog box "Are you sure you want to start the MSSQLSERVER service on KED-W-BOLGR". I select "Yes"
4. I get another dialog box with a gauge on it telling me that it is attempting to connect to the service
5. I now get an error dialog box which has the following message:
Unable to start service MSSQLSERVER on server KED-W-BOLGR. (mscorlib)
The MSSQLSERVER service on KED-W-BOLGR started and then stopped. (Object Explorer)
Anyway, the red dot remains on the drum icon indicating that the service is not connected. I cannot connect. Can someone help me out?