I have been running a single Windows 2012 Standard DC for about a year. It has worked without error and I check the logs frequently and there has never been anything concerning. Yesterday I installed a new Windows 2012 Standard and promoted it to a domain controller. First DC=Crete. Second DC=Corinth.
I saw logs that SYSVOL successfully replicated and verified by comparing the Netlogon folder. I checked all the event logs and DNS logs before and after the promotion and all seems well.
Today I moved the PDC and RID to the new server, Corinth. I ran netdom query fsmo
on both DCs and the output reflected current changes. Again, I checked event logs on both servers and all seems well.
I logged onto a workstation and checked the %logonserver%
environment variable and it said the logon server was Crete. I was expecting it to say Corinth.
I ran dcdiag /c
on both DCs and see DNS errors including one that says, "The primary Domain Controller for this domain could not be located.". I have since moved the PDC and RID back to the first DC and netdom query fsmo
is reflecting the change on both DCs. The PDC not found error seems to have corrected itself because I do not see it in the dcdiag log anymore.
I have attached the dcdiag output from both servers. I'm concerned that if there are any PDC logon issues that there may be denied logons in my near future. And I need to correct what ever problems are in my Active Directory so that I can move forward.