Joining Windows 10 to Windows 2012 (non R2) domain

NatoMas used Ask the Experts™
Hi, I'm working on a domain powered by a Windows 2012 (non R2) domain controller. For some reason, I'm having trouble joining a Window 10 Pro machine to the domain. The Windows 10 machine tries to join and then get an error saying that it can find or resolve the domain.

Does Window 2012 support Windows 10 client?

Thanks in advance and any help will be greatly appreciated.
Watch Question

Do more with

Expert Office
EXPERT OFFICE® is a registered trademark of EXPERTS EXCHANGE®
JohnBusiness Consultant (Owner)
Most Valuable Expert 2012
Expert of the Year 2018
Verify the machine is Windows 10 Pro. Windows 10 with no identifier is Windows 10 Home.

Then run TCP/IP Reset, DNS Flush.

Open cmd.exe with Run as Administrator
Then  netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
Also, ipconfig /flushdns followed by net stop dnscache followed by net start dnscache
Then turn the computer OFF, Start up and test.

Otherwise, it should join.
Distinguished Expert 2018
So you say win7 or win8.1 do join alright at the same time or haven't you tried? You should.

-make sure the first DNS entry is a DC
-when joining, try the FQDN as well, nit only the NetBIOS name
-make sure no 3rd party firewalls interfere


Hi John and McKnife,

I have tried to flushdns, that didn't work. But I will try net ip reset and net stop dnscache followed by flushdns.

@McKnife - DNS entry is correct. I tried both FQDN and domain. Also uninstalled the 3rd party firewall. None of the those fixed it.

Both Win 7 and Win 8.1 join with no problem. I will double check to see if the client machine is Window 10 Pro.

Starting with Angular 5

Learn the essential features and functions of the popular JavaScript framework for building mobile, desktop and web applications.

Distinguished Expert 2018

It won't be home since home cannot even try to join.
Please ping the domain name and see if it resolves. Like in
ping yourdomain.local
My colleague figured out the problem and fixed it. To fix it, he added the Alias (CNAME) record for the server in the _msdcs subfolder which is listed under the Domain folder in the Forward Lookup Zones folder on the DNS Server. Apparently it was missing, deleted, or never created.

Thanks for all your help! Glad its working now.


I was to figure a resolution internally.

Do more with

Expert Office
Submit tech questions to Ask the Experts™ at any time to receive solutions, advice, and new ideas from leading industry professionals.

Start 7-Day Free Trial