?
Solved

USMT Restore Task Sequence failing with error code 0xC0000135

Posted on 2016-07-14
1
Medium Priority
?
697 Views
Last Modified: 2016-07-18
Hello Experts-Exchange,

I've been tasked with testing USMT at the company I work at and I have created two seemingly simple task sequences to capture a user state to a state migration point and then restore it to a different computer. The two task sequences are really straightforward, as you can see:
USMT.jpg
I created a computer association between two lab machines and then proceeded with testing the task sequences. The capture went through without error and I can see the folder with the USMT.mig file that was created on the state migration point. However, when I run the restore task sequence, it fails every time during the Restore User State step. Here is what shows up in the smsts.log file:

PreLonghorn USMT returned error (0xc0000135). Look USMT log file loadstate.log for detail error message.      OSDUSMT      7/14/2016 9:35:55 AM      4484 (0x1184)
Invoking ReleaseSource on USMTPackagePath C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\CDP00001      OSDUSMT      7/14/2016 9:35:55 AM      4484 (0x1184)
ReleaseSource() for C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\CDP00001.      OSDUSMT      7/14/2016 9:35:55 AM      4484 (0x1184)
reference count 1 for the source C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\CDP00001 before releasing      OSDUSMT      7/14/2016 9:35:55 AM      4484 (0x1184)
Released the resolved source C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\CDP00001      OSDUSMT      7/14/2016 9:35:55 AM      4484 (0x1184)
OSDMigrateUserState finished: 0xc0000135      OSDUSMT      7/14/2016 9:35:55 AM      4484 (0x1184)
Process completed with exit code 3221225781      TSManager      7/14/2016 9:35:55 AM      132 (0x0084)
!--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------!      TSManager      7/14/2016 9:35:55 AM      132 (0x0084)
Failed to run the action: Restore User State.
Unknown error (Error: C0000135; Source: Unknown)      TSManager      7/14/2016 9:35:55 AM      132 (0x0084)
Set authenticator in transport      TSManager      7/14/2016 9:35:55 AM      132 (0x0084)
Set a global environment variable _SMSTSLastActionRetCode=-1073741515      TSManager      7/14/2016 9:35:55 AM      132 (0x0084)
Set a global environment variable _SMSTSLastActionSucceeded=false      TSManager      7/14/2016 9:35:55 AM      132 (0x0084)
Clear local default environment      TSManager      7/14/2016 9:35:55 AM      132 (0x0084)
Failed to run the action: Restore User State. Execution has been aborted      TSManager      7/14/2016 9:35:55 AM      132 (0x0084)
Set authenticator in transport      TSManager      7/14/2016 9:35:55 AM      132 (0x0084)
Failed to run the last action: Restore User State. Execution of task sequence failed.
Unknown error (Error: C0000135; Source: Unknown)      TSManager      7/14/2016 9:35:55 AM      132 (0x0084)
Set authenticator in transport      TSManager      7/14/2016 9:35:55 AM      132 (0x0084)
Task Sequence Engine failed! Code: enExecutionFail      TSManager      7/14/2016 9:35:57 AM      132 (0x0084)
****************************************************************************      TSManager      7/14/2016 9:35:57 AM      132 (0x0084)
Task sequence execution failed with error code 80004005      TSManager      7/14/2016 9:35:57 AM      132 (0x0084)


I've looked for the LoadState.log file but it does not exist. The only relevant information I found on this problem was from (Technet but the answer provided there did not help me.

Thanks in advance!
0
Comment
Question by:IC-ADMIN
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
1 Comment
 

Accepted Solution

by:
IC-ADMIN earned 0 total points
ID: 41717754
I ended up figuring it out on my own. It turns out that the Loadstate.exe command line was failing when ran manually with the following message (which I was not seeing in the logs or otherwise):

"The program can’t start because DismApi.DLL is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

Turns out this is a documented issue at Microsoft:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3084782

I followed this resolution to update my USMT package in SCCM and the issue was resolved.
0

Featured Post

Office 365 Training for Admins - 7 Day Trial

Learn how to provision tenants, synchronize on-premise Active Directory, implement Single Sign-On, customize Office deployment, and protect your organization with eDiscovery and DLP policies.  Only from Platform Scholar.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Recovering from what the press called "the largest-ever cyber-attack", IT departments worldwide are discussing ways to defend against this in the future. In this process, many people are looking for immediate actions while, instead, they need to tho…
New style of hardware planning for Microsoft Exchange server.
This tutorial will walk an individual through the process of transferring the five major, necessary Active Directory Roles, commonly referred to as the FSMO roles from a Windows Server 2008 domain controller to a Windows Server 2012 domain controlle…
The Task Scheduler is a powerful tool that is built into Windows. It allows you to schedule tasks (actions) on a recurring basis, such as hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, at log on, at startup, on idle, etc. This video Micro Tutorial is a brief intro…
Suggested Courses

770 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question