Good day experts....
I have a Windows 2012r2 domain operating at the 2012r2 functional level. This domain was shutdown in place about 7 months ago and has not been powered on since. All domain controllers are virtual and ESXi is the virtualization platform. Passwords are set to expire after 90 days. I am looking to start this domain backup up and am asking for thoughts on the best way to startup and get back into this domain.
Some initial thoughts I have:
1. Startup up ESXi servers and set the clock back 7 months
2. Disconnect the time source
3. Startup one of the domain controllers login and reset password (time should not update)
4. Login and reset password
5. Reconnect the time source
6. Change time to present
7. Change password again
8. Startup 2nd domain controller
1. Startup ESXi leaving time as it
2. Startup 1st domain controller
3. From the console login using password that will be expired and update
4. Bring 2nd domain controller online
5. Ensure clocks are current
I know this is a "corner case" and most of the answers will be speculative as to the results. I am looking for ideas and thoughts and any will be appreciated.
As for why this has been shutdown for so long, this is a disconnected development environment that a contract ended for and now another contract has been awarded. As for why everything is virtual, that was the best solution for the available resources. I would like to stay away from the "you should have done it that way" discussions.
Thanks in advance for your help!