[Okta Webinar] Learn how to a build a cloud-first strategyRegister Now

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 43
  • Last Modified:

GPO settings for Office 2013 are not applying

I have a Win Server 2012 R2 machine with Office 2013 Pro Plus SP1 x64 installed for the purposes of RDS Remote webapps.

I noticed as I was finalising the setup that when ever I try to open a file from a DFS propagated network share in an Office app, it fails stating that the file is corrupt/requires repair. This only happens via DFS - local and server file path work fine on the same files.

To fix this I created a new GPO to add the DFS paths as Trusted Locations and enable Trusted locations on the network across Excel, Word, PowerPoint. However, the Office settings on the GPO will not apply to the machine - other settings in the same GPO will apply, just not the settings on Office apps. This is happening on a version of Office downloaded from MS Volume Licensing today. Is there any way to correct this issue?

Enabling the settings on a per user level really isn't a suitable workaround in this case.


Gary
0
StratAn
Asked:
StratAn
  • 3
1 Solution
 
Forrest BurrisCommented:
Are you using the correct ADM/X files on your domain controller? Make sure you're using the Office 2013 templates from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35554.

If you run an rsop.msc from the run command on an affected machine, you don't see those specific GPO settings applied referencing the 2013 Office GPO?
0
 
StratAnAuthor Commented:
Hi Forrest,

Thank you for your input.

We had ADMX files for 2013 but it did just update them now with the newest version. Unfortunately there was no change when trying to apply the GPO.

When running RSOP is does not list the GPO settings that have been added for Office 2013. However, it does show other GPOs that have been applied to this machine. I checked Office settings and registry keys, and nothing has been altered.

Gary
0
 
StratAnAuthor Commented:
Issue has now been resolved.

Realised my glaring mistake after running gpresult. The GPO was not applied a t a user OU but rather machine. Made the switch and the settings are now corrected.
1
 
StratAnAuthor Commented:
Worked out my mistake after further troubleshooting.
0

Featured Post

Veeam Disaster Recovery in Microsoft Azure

Veeam PN for Microsoft Azure is a FREE solution designed to simplify and automate the setup of a DR site in Microsoft Azure using lightweight software-defined networking. It reduces the complexity of VPN deployments and is designed for businesses of ALL sizes.

  • 3
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now