Go Premium for a chance to win a PS4. Enter to Win

x
?
Solved

Sharepoint 2016 - different search results depending on who searches - all have same permissions

Posted on 2016-07-21
5
Medium Priority
?
26 Views
Last Modified: 2016-07-26
Hi experts.

We setup sharepoint 2016 trial. The enterprise search center works as expected - for anyone. The search box of the project site however, does return results only for some users. So the same documents are not found, only for some users.
There is no logical explanation to me. All users are allowed to view these documents, so search should find them as well. This effect is not seen on another sharepoint test machine that the same people have setup.

We searched the net and found people with this problem who claimed, their solution was to change permissions on that problem user's AD object, which we tested, but no success.

Any idea?
0
Comment
Question by:McKnife
  • 3
  • 2
5 Comments
 
LVL 20

Expert Comment

by:Walter Curtis
ID: 41723007
Maybe this will help. A few things to look at:
  • Double check permissions again, down to the document level. Maybe the document has unique permissions and some users aren't allowed access. In that case, SharePoint security is doing what it is suppose to do.
  • Have permissions recently changed? Changes to the search index's ACL are not indexed until the next full crawl. A full crawl may correct the issue.
  • In some cases, search results are set to filter what it thinks are duplicates and this will "hide" documents sometimes. The setting to change that is a property of the search results web part found on the search results page.
  • Are documents checked in and/or published. Only owners will see documents in their draft version.

Hope that helps...
0
 
LVL 57

Author Comment

by:McKnife
ID: 41723299
Hi. None of those apply
All users have permission to read it and a new crawl was already done. The search center find those, only the search box at the site level does not. No draft status, no duplicates.
0
 
LVL 57

Accepted Solution

by:
McKnife earned 0 total points
ID: 41723378
Found the problem. The developer who tests used the fqdn. Without the full name, it works everywhere. We'll find out, why that is.
0
 
LVL 20

Expert Comment

by:Walter Curtis
ID: 41723386
Glad it is working for you
0
 
LVL 57

Author Closing Comment

by:McKnife
ID: 41729216
Self solved.
0

Featured Post

What is SQL Server and how does it work?

The purpose of this paper is to provide you background on SQL Server. It’s your self-study guide for learning fundamentals. It includes both the history of SQL and its technical basics. Concepts and definitions will form the solid foundation of your future DBA expertise.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

If you create your solutions on SharePoint sooner or later you will come upon a request to set  permissions of the item depending on some of the item's meta-data - the author, people assigned as approvers, divisions, categories etc. The most natu…
A while back, I ran into a situation where I was trying to use the calculated columns feature in SharePoint 2013 to do some simple math using values in two lists. Between certain data types not being accessible, and also with trying to make a one to…
This course is ideal for IT System Administrators working with VMware vSphere and its associated products in their company infrastructure. This course teaches you how to install and maintain this virtualization technology to store data, prevent vuln…
Loops Section Overview
Suggested Courses

916 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question